Sunday, January 23, 2011

Two Ways to Play

"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to."
"I don't much care where –"
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go."
— Lewis Carroll (Alice in Wonderland)

I like things to be completely unstructured. If there is a structure, I tend to fight it and that is no way to engage in an activity like this. However, I know also that some actually do like structure. They like it a lot. In fact, it clarifies the rules of engagement somehow. So for this latter group, I am going to attach just a little bit of structure around this game…as an option. There is absolutely no requirement to play this way. But the structured play might give you some ideas anyway.

Every week, I will post some theme of risk taking.

On Sunday night, every week, I will post some kind of risk-taking theme for that week. Then, every morning, starting on Monday morning, I will post suggestions and ideas for pursuing a rejection based on that theme. We begin tomorrow, so I will post this week’s theme right now…and activities relating to it starting tomorrow morning.

Theme for Week One: Rejection from Someone You Know

This week, we will be focusing on your immediately available network or community. The level of play is up to you, as always. But remember the goal is to really take chances. The goal is not to make others uncomfortable…but to give them the space to give you a firm rejection. You may let people in on the idea of the game AFTER you have received your rejection if you like. And it must be a solid and honest attempt, meaning, you must accept the gift/service/date that you have asked for if you do not get a rejection. Do not ask someone to go to lunch with you and then say “Nevermind.” if they accept. Ask only for things you are willing to accept.

This week is going to be a bit tricky. You will have to think carefully because many people in our “network” are very willing to do all kinds of crazy things for us. In order to receive a rejection, you will have to think about who the right person is to ask.

Suggested activities for this theme will come out every morning this week. Remember, you should not be asking people who will give you a rejection just because they know you are playing.

As a reminder, don’t forget that the suggestions this week are OPTIONAL. You do not have to do it this way in order to get points or to win.

Have fun with this.

Xo,

Kimberley

1 comment:

Bon "Idearella" Crowder said...

So, lemme get this straight. You want me to ask someone I know a favor, knowing that they will say no. And if they say yes, I take the yes.

What if they say yes? Do I get no points for it? Or does it count?