Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Stranger in a Strange Land

Here is where I spent my first night here, across the world...


This is a “Sleeping Pod” in the Delhi airport. Pretty sweet set up, hunh? We had a 14 hour layover in Delhi, so these pods saved me. Turns out horizontal is a fairly important position.

I am in the gate this morning waiting to board for Nepal. I ate breakfast this morning at Delhi’s Daredevils Sports Bar.
Currys and cereals…airportish kind of food, but the décor was way cool.


Don’t those guys look like sports bar ninjas? It’s a Delhi Daredevils cricket mural. It’s beautiful in person actually. Ok, maybe beautiful is not the right word…maybe damned impressive.

It’s foggy out this morning and I really wish I could get out and take pictures in this light. It is so moody. Nothing I shoot is coming out right through these windows, which is a bummer. The mood outside is actually more reflective of my mood than the wildly energetic colors and décor of the sports bar. I am feeling moody, far away, muted, still, dampening.

I have not slept well. I cannot settle into my skin. I got some very bad news yesterday that I am having trouble processing. When bad news comes from such a distance, it feels a little surreal. And that is how I am feeling this morning, surreal.

Later this morning, I will be in Nepal. I will be a stranger amongst old friends. In a way, I already am. But this is such an important thing to remember in my body…how it feels to be a stranger in a strange land. And, while I can’t quite say that I welcome the revisiting of this kind of experience and am looking forward to the reminder of my vulnerability, I can honestly say that I am glad for what will come of it. Being uncomfortable is unsettling, and being unsettled makes such quick work of redefining what is normal.

This trip will be far from normal. It already is. I promise to stay vulnerable here, in my writing to you. I trust you to hold this space with me.

Xo,

Kimberley

5 comments:

Soluna Sassoon said...

I am sorry you are moody today, the dawning of another great life adventure.

Steven said...

Hope the news isn't too awful. Take care. Looking forward to hearing about your journey.

Kimberley said...

Thank you. You cannot imagine how meaningful it is to me that you are reaching out with your words. Connects me.

News is pretty awful, Steven...posting more about it very soon.

Bon Crowder said...

Remember, we, your readers, are like a heat sink - we help dissipate the heat so that things on the "inside" can work well.

Keep writing and keep sharing. The universe is on your side, KC.

Unknown said...

Kimberley, the world is not so large that you are ever far from your friends. Kahlil Gibran once wrote "many of us spend our whole lives running from feeling with the mistaken belief that you can not bear the pain. But you have already borne the pain. What you have not done is feel all you are beyond that pain." Whatever your bad news, there is much beyond it remaining to be explored. Take heart and remember you are loved.